1. Identify nonprofits and low income households that would benefit from solar power.
2. Complete an energy audit on the home / building.
3. Identify cost effective improvements through which energy efficiency could be enhanced.
4. Implement energy efficiency improvements to the building with the help of volunteer labor.
5. Find a solar installer to manage the project start to finish.
6. Assess energy demand and design an appropriately sized solar energy system.
- Identify sponsors and affinity groups.
- Establish a Solar Seed Fund.
- Identify financing options.
8. Solar barn raising.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Give volunteers an orientation.
- Hold solar barn raising.
9. Flip-the-switch ceremony!
- Connect the solar array to the grid
- Invite supporters to ceremoniously flip the switch and turn on the power of the sun!