1. Identify nonprofits that would benefit from solar power.
- Does the nonprofit serve the most vulnerable in our community?
- Does the nonprofit have a roof appropriate for solar?
- How would solar impact the nonprofit’s budget?
2. Complete an energy audit on the nonprofit’s building.
3. Identify cost effective improvements where energy efficiency could be enhanced.
4. Make energy-efficiency improvements to facilities with the help of volunteer labor.
5. Find a solar installer to manage the project start to finish.
6. Assess energy demand and design an appropriately sized solar-energy system.
- Identify sponsors and affinity groups.
- Kick off crowdfunding campaign.
8. Solar barn raising.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Give volunteers an orientation.
- Hold solar barn raising.
9. Flip-the-switch ceremony!