How It Works
1. Identify nonprofits and low-income households that would benefit from solar power.
2. Complete an energy audit on the home or building.
3. Identify cost-effective improvements through which energy efficiency could be enhanced.
4. Implement energy-efficiency improvements to the building with the help of volunteer labor.
5. Find a solar installer to manage the project start to finish.
6. Assess energy demand and design an appropriately sized solar energy system.
- Identify sponsors and affinity groups.
- Establish a Solar Seed Fund.
- Identify financing options.
8. Solar barn raising.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Give volunteers orientation.
- Hold solar barn raising.
9. Flip-the-switch ceremony
- Connect the solar array to the grid
- Invite supporters to flip the switch and turn on the power of the sun!