Organize a Solar Barn Raising
What is a solar barn raising?
It’s a volunteer-assisted solar install. A “barn raising” occurs when a community comes to the same place at the same time to achieve a specific goal.
Why hold a solar barn raising?
- Fits with Habitat’s volunteer-driven focus
- Educational—raises awareness, demystifies solar technology
- Fundraising opportunity
- Helps to keep solar affordable
- Helps homeowners to better understand their solar system
- Business opportunity for installer
How to hold a solar barn raising
- Recruit volunteers—this is an excellent opportunity to engage public officials, potential donors, and young people
- Invite the local media
- Give volunteers orientation—address workflow, liability waiver, safety issues, refreshments
- Hold solar barn raising
- Feed volunteers!