Messaging to leverage solar in support of Habitat construction
- Access to solar: In 2021, the median income of solar adopters nationally was $110,000. Habitat homeowners in VA earn less than 80% of area median income, or below $61,118, on average, in Virginia.
- Solar adds significantly to the value of the home and helps to build generational wealth through increasing disposable income.
- Not only are we building homes that are affordable to purchase, but we are also building homes that are affordable to operate for decades through energy efficiency and solar.
- As the price of electricity continues to rise, our homeowners will be protected from this inflation.
- Through utilizing solar power, Habitat homeowners will be well positioned to greatly reduce living expenses through electrified transportation once electric vehicles become more affordable
- Solar makes it much more likely that homeowners will not default on their mortgages.
- Battery systems can be added to homes if the need arises.
- Solar is scalable and homeowners can add more panels if needed.
- Solar on Habitat homes is a climate change solution, reducing the need to burn fossil fuels to produce electricity.
Benefits of installing solar for affiliates
- Expanding donor base through emphasizing solar.
- New opportunities for media attention
- Grant funding opportunities related to prioritizing net zero energy homes